When you ask you child "What did you do at school today?" We can guess the response "I can’t remember" or "nothing" … conversation over!
Here are some questions to ask to help keep the conversation going:
- What was the best thing that happened at school today?
- What was the hardest thing you overcame today?
- Tell me something that made you laugh today.
- Tell me about what you read in class today. What did your teacher read you today?
- What’s the biggest difference between this year and last year?
- Who did you sit by at lunch today? What did you talk about?
- Can you show me/tell me about something you learned today?
- What part of school is your favourite?
- Tell me the name of two/three children you played with today?
- What was the most interesting/funny thing that your teacher said today?
- Tell me one interesting fact about your teacher?
- What’s your favourite time of day at school?
- What are you looking forward to at school tomorrow?
- Did you get challenged with anything at school today?
- Were you able to finish all of your work today?
- Tell me about a new word you heard today at school.
- If I called your teacher what would he/she tell me about you?
- What subject/activity do you like the best? Why?
- Did anyone do something nice for you today? What did they do?
- How did you help someone today?
- Did you have any wow moments today? What were they?
- If you were the teacher, what would you do with the class tomorrow?
These are just a few ideas, maybe you can think of others – we’d love to hear about them so that we can share these with others. Enjoy your conversations with your child.